An article appeared on iBerkshires.com today about the Scooper Bowl...
American Idols headline 25th Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl
- May 17, 2007
To help celebrate the Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowlâ€™s 25th year, two American Idols will be performing on Wednesday, June 6, at Boston City Hall Plaza. Former local Idol contestants Ayla Brown from season five and Nick Pedro from season six will take center stage at the nationâ€™s largest all-you-can-eat ice cream festival. An autograph signing session with the idols will be held from 6-6:45 p.m. with a concert to follow from 7-8 p.m.
The Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl is on June 5, 6 and 7. Forty flavors of ice cream, frozen yogurt and sorbet will be served at all times from top ice cream vendors. The Scooper Bowl will also be dishing up a full schedule of entertainment in addition to the American Idol contestants.
Highlights include a dunk tank on Tuesday, June 5, where Bostonâ€™s hottest radio and television celebrities will take a risk at getting soaked for the Jimmy Fund. Participants will be able to take a swing at NECNâ€™s meteorologist Tim Kelley, Magic 106.7â€™s Amanda Giles, Oldies 103.3 Jimmy Delponte, and Mix 98.5â€™s Fast Freddy. The cost is $3 per throw, or 3 balls for $5.
The Red Sox wives will judge an ice cream eating contest and will scoop on Tuesday, and games from the Boston Celtics and Cannons will be set up for children to play on that day as well. Patriots Cheerleaders will sign autographs and will scoop on Wednesday, as will WCVB Chronicleâ€™s Shayna Seymour. Throughout the entire three-day festival, local theater and musical groups will perform and Child Protection Resources Inc. will offer free fingerprinting for children.
Presented by Idearc Media, publisher of the Greater Boston Verizon Yellow Pages and home to Superpages.com, the Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl supports research and care for adult and pediatric cancers at the world-renowned Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Since it began, the Scooper Bowl has raised $1.8 million. The goal is to raise $150,000 this year.
All Scooper Bowl performances are part of the admission cost which is $7 for adults, $3 for children ages 3-9, and free for children younger than 3. There is also a $15 Scooper Pass, which allows guests to skip the line and enter the Scooper Bowl up to three times. The ice cream festival is open from 11:30 a.m. â€“ 6 p.m. on Tuesday, June 5, and Thursday, June 7. Hours will be extended until 8 p.m. on Wednesday, June 6. For more information visit www.scooperbowl.org
Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl Entertainment Highlights
Tuesday, June 5
* Celebrity dunk tank open all day
* 11:30 a.m.â€“1:30 p.m.: Boston Cannons game station
* 1-2:30 p.m.: Red Sox wives judge ice cream eating contest and celebrity scoop
* 2-4 p.m.: Boston Celtics game station
* 4-6 p.m.: Riverside Theater Works performance
Wednesday, June 6
* 11:30 a.m.: Shayna Seymour, WCVB reporter, scooping Brighamâ€™s Chronicle Coffee Crunch
* 11:30 a.m.â€“1 p.m.: Michael and Marisa performance, 9 and 10-year-old brother and sister, duet
* 12:30â€“2 p.m.: Patriots Cheerleaders sign autographs and scoop
* 2-3 p.m.: Rhode Island Ballroom Dance Team performance
* 4:30â€“5:30 p.m.: Syd, singer/songwriter, performance
* 6â€“6:45 p.m.: American Idol autograph session
* 7-8 p.m.: American Idol performance
Thursday, June 7
* 11:30 a.m.â€“12:30 p.m.: Christopher Dale, singer/songwriter, performance
* 2-4 p.m.: Friends of Broadway performance
* 4-5:30 p.m.: Tim Blane, singer/songwriter, performance